On 04/25/18 05:13, Jon Solworth wrote:
I updated qubes 4.0 and there were some errors (about transactions on--I
believe--some crypto stuff).  Afterwards, I couldn't boot getting the message

kernel panic -- not syncing: VFS unable to mount fs on unknown block (0,0)

the problem is that my backup is a bit old, and if possible I would like to
retrieve the data.  So:

   1. Is there a way to restore the kernel to a working one? or alternatively
   2. If I build qubes on an external disk, is there a way to copy over the
      files from my SSD?
   3. Any other suggestions.

(I tried to use troubleshooting with a 4.0 usb stick, but couldn't figure out
how to recover).

thanks
Jon

Just curious was this a legacy or efi installation ? and in your Bios/EFI boot settings do you see two choices for the USB installation media?

What happened when you tried 'troubleshooting'  USB media exactly ?