On Sun, 29 Apr 2018 10:39:21 -0400
Ed <e...@edjusted.com> wrote:

>On 04/28/2018 08:50 PM, Stuart Perkins wrote:
>> Hi list.
>>
>> I'm considering setting up Qubes capable server at my home.  What I need,
>> however, is to be able to remotely control it. Updates...reboot/stop/start
>> system and app vm's etc.  Is this even possible with Qubes?  I currently run
>> a Ubuntu powered old laptop as a "server" and have it hosting a couple of
>> VM's with virtualbox.  I can ssh into it and even have an sshuttle setup for
>> VPN over SSH functionality for when I need to do something "gui" remotely.
>> One of my VM's is an old XP system which monitors my solar electric. One is
>> a ubuntu install hosting a Drupal website.  One is also installed which is a
>> full blow VPN server for when I need to do more than just simple things...I
>> rarely use this one.
>>
>> I will be upgrading my "server" hardware to a real server class platform one
>> of these days, and I would like something specific to running independent
>> VM's, but the remote maintenance might be a Qubes eliminating need...
>>
>> Anybody here attacked a remote console to dom0 before, or does it so
>> completely violate the philosophy of Qubes that it is an absolute
>> no-way-in-hell thing?
>>
>> Stuart
>>

>Hi Stuart,
>
>Philosophies aside, you can do whatever you want :)  Adding networking
>to dom0 is certainly defeating a lot of the hardwork/security that went
>into qubes.  If you wanted to go this route you might consider just
>running Xen directly?  Especially if you are putting this in your
>closet/basement?
>
>There is another issue however, aside from just giving dom0 network
>access, and that's the LUKS password.  If you needed to reboot the
>machine entirely from remote, you'd be stuck if you had LUKS encryption
>on the disk with no way to enter it remotely.
>
>Unless.... you do what I did, and hook up a Raspberry Pi to the serial
>console of my machine, and update the kernel boot line in grub to use
>the serial console (Note: This REQUIRES you to use the serial console to
>enter the LUKS password, you lose the ability to enter it from your
>keyboard locally).
>
>Stating the obvious, if someone gets access to the Raspberry Pi I'd be
>in a bit of trouble, though as long as I remember to log out of the
>shell at the serial console on the Pi, someone compromising that machine
>does not immediately give them access to the Qubes box, they would have
>to guess my password or wait for me to log back in and enter it if I
>didn't know they were there and they could capture it.  I run OSSEC on
>this PI to help combat that issue.
>
>Also considering defense in depth, I can only access that Raspberry Pi
>via VPN, I do NOT expose it directly to the internet, it also sits on
>it's own VLAN which I leave isolated, so when I do have to do remote
>administration I first have to grant access to that VLAN from my router
> [...]

Thanks for the detailed answer.  I may consider a straight up xen hypervisor
host for those reasons.  Physical compromise is unlikely.  I have no
neighbors...at least none who would care to hack my computer system.  The only
one even remotely capable is a trusted friend...who I would call to physically
touch something if needed.