Hello,

Drew White <drew.qu...@gmail.com> schrieb am Sa., 5. Mai 2018, 03:09:

> (....)
> I don't use UEFI because I want to remain in control of my PC, not let
> Microsoft and others have control.

I had a discussion with a colleague and he couldn't tell what is the real
benefit running UEFI vs. legacy boot.
As far as you run one Linux OS use disk encryption and use LVM to split
your hard drive in different sections, why should I use UEFI which seems to
add more trouble but no benefits.

On the other hand:
I haven't understand how others have control when we use UEFI.

>From what I have read one of the "improvements" is:

(...) The biggest benefit of UEFI is its security over BIOS. UEFI can allow
only authentic drivers and services to load at boot time, making sure that
no malware can be loaded at computer startup. (...)

On the other side there has been evidence that UEFI will not protect you
from attacks:

(...) UEFI rootkits—malicious code that’s meant to hide other malware and
its activities—are perfect for cyberespionage or surveillance operations.
The 2015 data leak from Italian surveillance software maker Hacking Team
revealed that the company was offering a UEFI rootkit to its law
enforcement and government customers.

Documents leaked recently by WikiLeaks about the U.S. CIA’s
cybercapabilities revealed that the agency purportedly has UEFI “implants”
for Mac computers
<http://www.pcworld.com/article/3184435/security/wikileaks-documents-show-cias-mac-and-iphone-compromises.html>.
(...)
As such I have more trust in Legacy Bios more precise Coreboot.

[799]