Thanks for comments. To clarify  - i’m only using qubes4 vm’s and templates. In
ideal world, i ‘d use clonezilla say to clone everything and copy the
clonezilla image back if i ever thought there was a problem with active system.
This does not seem possible with qubes. (This process is simple and works well
with debian, ubuntu etc)
Instead I’ve copied all my qubes3.2 data offline and was intending to use
filezilla to bring it all back -once i was confident of stable qubes4 setup.
I think i’m further away from ever with that. Just done the umpteenth install
of qubes4 and now can’t get my test vm’s to recognise software eg filezilla,
libreoffice writer that i’ ve added to fedora 26. I done endless resume,
stop/starts and turn pc off/on - but nothing happening. Was intending to
generate a fedora-26 template backup again, including a few test vm’s  - then
transfer to another pc , then do a fresh install on main pc, zap the new
fedora-26 and vm’s and then try and copy the backup file to main pc and restore.
 Qubes is a great idea - for 12 months or so i’ve done almost all my internet
stuff on dispvm’s and kept a good discipline wrt untusted/ personal vm’s etc.
My old pc couldn’t handle qubes4 - so ive invested in new kit so i could start
with qubes4.

I can’t spend any more time with this so it’s back to debian for me.
I’ll have another look at qubes in a few months when hopefully it’s more stable.

Thanks again for comments.