Ok, I discovered pvs to tell me the disk usage, ran it before and after cloning
a ~10 GB Windows VM, and verified usage was the same before and after:

$ sudo pvs
  PV         VG         Fmt  Attr PSize  PFree
  /dev/sdb2  qubes_dom0 lvm2 a--  58.76g 8.71g

$ qvm-clone windows windows2
windows2: Cloning private volume
windows2: Cloning root volume

$ sudo pvs
  PV         VG         Fmt  Attr PSize  PFree
  /dev/sdb2  qubes_dom0 lvm2 a--  58.76g 8.71g

Qubes manager gives the disk of the clone VM as 0 before I run it:

https://imgur.com/NGAjTxg

Though afterward it gets the same disk size as the original:

https://imgur.com/hCGUVqs

So again I assume that's the virtual space allocated to the clone rather than
the actual space.