> That's a TemplateBasedHVM and InputKeyboard is running, but (as you say)
> not allowed - I advised creating a HVM (Standalone) and you'll see it works.
> You refer to this case below.

It's not InputKeyboard that is the problem, it is Qubes-Gui.  StandaloneVMs Not
based on a Template, won't have any qubes services running.  But attaching a
USB keyboard is also not possible.
For my test, my AppVM (Kali) was installed from an ISO (not a template), and I
installed Qubes services/agents from deb packages.  This allowed USB
passthrough, but I never got the qubes-gui installed.  So it does work.

> People have reported using yubikeys in this configuration in the past.

I have read a lot of the yubikey / qubes implementations, as I am currently
using one.
Are you sure they are using Yubikey's "Static Password" slot?  That is the only
component that enumerates as a USB keyboard.  The normal yubikey setup
enumerates as a Smartcard, which is how the challenge/response works.  With
this, there is no keyboard to attach as an input device and no keystrokes to
manage.  You attach the USB to the AppVM, and that's it.