On Tuesday, August 21, 2018 at 2:28:53 AM UTC+2, John S.Recdep wrote:
> On 08/16/2018 03:09 AM, Marcus Linsner wrote:
> > On Friday, June 1, 2018 at 11:31:14 PM UTC+2, qube...-...@public.gmane.org
> > wrote:
> >> The Qubes docs at:
> >>
> >> https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/dispvm-customization/
> >>
> >> note the following for disposable vms:
> >>
> >> __
> >>
> >> Note that currently only applications whose main process keeps running
> >> until you close the application (i.e. do not start a background process
> >> instead) will work. One of known examples of incompatible applications
> >> is GNOME Terminal (shown on the list as “Terminal”). Choose different
> >> terminal emulator (like XTerm) instead.
> >
> > Also nautilus (shown on the list as "Files") even though its main process
> > (at least when run from another terminal) doesn't return (like
> > gnome-terminal does) until its window is closed (actually 11 seconds after
> > its window is closed: try "time nautilus; echo returned" and alt+f4 the
> > window as soon as it appears - shows like 13 seconds then "returned"). Can
> > anyone explain?
> >

> Can you rewrite this, if it is not solved?
>
> What are you trying to do ?    Open a dispVM  and you want it to work
> when it isn't    and/or  it's too slow ......   your question isn't clear

In a DispVM, when you run xterm (which does work/open), then type "time
nautilus; echo returned", it works, that is, it opens the 'Files' window and in
xterm you see that the command 'time nautilus' hasn't returned(until 11 seconds
AFTER you close the nautilus window - which almost makes sense, but why the
delay? that's one question)! which means nautilus doesn't seem to run as a
background process(like 'gnome-terminal' does), which means that when you
straight choose the 'Files' application in the fedora 28 disposable vm menu, it
should open the window, and yet it doesn't: it starts a dispVM then halts,
without opening any windows (just like it does when you try
'gnome-terminal'(shown as 'Terminal' in the app list) - ok, it's almost the
same, at least with 'gnome-terminal' you do get to see its window appear for
like 1 second before it auto closes (and all this I understand, it's explained
in that quoted section).

So the following doesn't seem to apply to nautilus, then is something else
going on ?