On Thursday, August 23, 2018 at 10:30:17 AM UTC-4, Jonathan Seefelder wrote:
> If you keep wear-leveling in mind, and encrypt the ssd before you fill
> it with sensitive data, id suggest an ssd. Ideally, you should encrypt
> /boot also.

I've posted recommendations on how to add hardware drive encryption on top of
Qubes' software encryption on this list before, so I won't repost that.

In summary,

Use an SSD that supports T13 ATA SANITIZE and TCG OPAL, and also remember to
enable trim in dom0 ( https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/disk-trim/ ). Enable HW
encryption (but also enable QUBES' software encryption).

Bonus: using SSDs with the above features, when you are done with the system
you can instantly (< 2s) erase all user data on the SSD by issuing either an
ATA SANITIZE - CRYPTO SCRAMBLE EXT command or an OPAL PSID REVERT command (the
latter requires the code printed on the drive label).

Brendan