On 09/07/2018 11:10 AM, 22...@tutamail.com wrote:
Thank you both for your responses...fair question John but I am the OP, lost
access to my old tutamail. Yes my VPN was working fine for a few months however
with a recent update it broke?? Its a little concerning because I did both a
Debian and Dom0 update. When trying to update Dom0 I was not able to update it
via Tor or VPN via Qubes??

I managed to confirm my VPN is spawning out in an attempt to connect but the
TLS is still not working...I tried it on 3 different networks.

I know you can modify the DNS resolver by adding the following to the OpenVPN
configuration:

setenv tunnel_dns '8.8.8.8'

But what would I add to "Specifying 'local'" in the OpenVPN configuration?

Thanks again for any help...

IIRC you only need to specify the IP address of a regular system interface, which in this case is eth0. So do a 'sudo ip addr' and look up the eth0 'inet' address and put 'local <address>' in the config. There's a chance this might work.

If it doesn't work, and you know of no custom firewall rules or net settings that you can check or remove, then I'd consider the following possibilities:

1. Your VPN provider has changed their TLS certificate or other connection parameters. In this case their special client software (e.g. installed on other devices?) would automatically refresh the config files while your Qubes config would remain stale and unable to complete TLS verification of the remote.

Remedy for this is to download your provider's current openvpn configs and put them in /rw/config/qtunnel (making sure that qtunnel.conf points to a new config file).

2. Some residual network property of your VPN VM has triggered a bug that prevents it from working correctly. Simple remedy would be to create and setup a new proxyVM and use that instead.

3. Unlikely: Interference from malware, possibly residing in sys-net.

--

Chris Laprise, tas...@posteo.net
https://github.com/tasket