On 9/14/18 9:29 PM, John S.Recdep wrote:
> On 09/14/2018 07:02 AM, 'Raffaele Florio' via qubes-users wrote:
>> Dear Qubes community,
>> I've released a new version of "Open in Qube" (aka qubes-url-redirector)
>> [v3.0_beta]. The repository is at [repo].
>> This is a browser extension inspired by [gsoc idea] and it's written using
>> standard WebExtension APIs. Each customization is done via the browser
>> because it's highly integrated in it.
>>
>> ### What does it do
>> The extension allows you to choose which URLs are whitelisted in the
>> browser, with a lot of flexibility. Indeed you can specify allowed URLs also
>> with regular expression. Non whitelisted URLs are treated in a custom way:
>> you can choose to block them only, or to block and redirect them to a
>> specific/disposable qube. In this way unwanted/malicious URLs will not be
>> opened in the current browser, so in the current qube.
>> Furthermore there are three context menu entry ([menu issue]) through which
>> you can choose how to handle specific link. Then there is the toolbar's
>> popup that allows you to whitelist a **specific** resource currently blocked
>> in the **active** tab. In the popup is indicated the URL and the type (i.e.
>> image, stylesheet, script, xhr and so on..) of each resource.
>> In the repo there are some screenshot and other infos. Furthermore after the
>> first installation the browser will open a welcome page whose will guide you.
>>
>> ### Installation
>> Installation is really easy and it's covered in the [repo]. As you can see
>> in [contrib issue] its integration in Qubes OS is scheduled for the 4.1
>> release.
>>
>> I hope that it will be useful to a lot of us and for whatever issue don't
>> hesitate to contact me! :D
>>
>> [v3.0_beta] =
>> https://github.com/raffaeleflorio/qubes-url-redirector/releases/tag/v3.0_beta
>> [gsoc idea] =
>> https://www.qubes-os.org/gsoc/#thunderbird-firefox-and-chrome-extensions
>> [menu issue] = https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/4105
>> [contrib_issue] = https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/3152
>> [repo] = https://github.com/raffaeleflorio/qubes-url-redirector/
>>
>> Best Regards,
>> Raffaele.
>>

> Nice.
>
> Can't quite understand how or why this would be used, though......?  am
> sure it makes sense to the smart folks :)
>

> here's my vote for whatever "gsoc idea" is , 'cause:
>
> I wish I could click on a URL in ThunderbirdVM  and have it open a
> whonix-dvm  by default  .....  afaik there is no current way to do that.

Just curious - isn't it possible to open a link with `qvm-open-in-dvm`
in your ThunderbirdVM and tweak the corresponding rpc service
(qubes.OpenInVM) to open a whonix-dvm ? Alternatively you could create a
new RPC service just for that (it's pretty easy).

In my setup thunderbird opens links with `qvm-open-in-vm` in a
"semi-permanent" dispVM (eg., a VM of DispVM class), this way I know the
name of the dispVM in advance - in my case 'dispBrowser' and I don't
have to wait each time for a dispVM to start. That's a bit of a security
compromise, but then I just have to power the VM to get it back to a
clean slate.