On Tuesday, September 18, 2018 at 10:37:06 AM UTC+2, Wolf moon wrote:
> On Saturday, 15 September 2018 04:21:53 UTC+1, Wolf moon  wrote:
> > Hi guys New to Qubes ( which is an amazing feat of cyber security
> > engineering ) all working fine and learning my way around it.
> >
> > My only issue is logging into my vpn service.
> >
> > I have followed the Qubes instructions ( which the images are different to
> > Qubes 4.0 and after searching the net on this matter someone said that this
> > is a shot of the previous Qubes so not helpful there ) I also contacted my
> > vpn service on the matter. They read up on the Qubes instructions and
> > emailed me back a step by step guide but still no joy.
> >
> > My vpn service works well on my Raspberry Pi 3 in the command line ( which
> > I found simple instructions for elsewhere on the internet ) and works fine
> > on my windows 10 system as its got an app interface you download.
> >
> > Its just Qubes I am having issues with. I am by no means a hardcore techy,
> > I am learning and not afraid or unfamiliar using the command line in linux.
> >
> > I have contacted the Qubes team after trying my best effort to resolve this
> > on my own as I know they are a small team of 5 or so last time I checked.
> >
> > Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Best,
> >
> > Wolf Moon
>
> Okay guys so I am signed up to Nordvpn. ( To note: I always update everything
> in Qube manager )
>
> I started off by google searching how to set up a vpn on qubes. I dont have
> every forum page be it google groups or reddit page saved I read
> unfortunately.
>
> But they generally instructed me to do go through the steps to set up a vpn
> as Qubes instructs on their page
> https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/vpn/#set-up-a-proxyvm-as-a-vpn-gateway-using-networkmanager
>
> Specifically Set up a ProxyVM as a VPN gateway using iptables and CLI scripts
>
> What I was referencing referring to the diagram/photo being outdated or of
> the old version of Qubes prior to 4.0 was the Dom0 create a new Vm. It just
> comes up looking different which is what one of the OPs mentioned on one of
> the how to guides I found.
>
> Moving forward.
>
> Certain commands didn't work like sudo which after googling one forum posted
> in Qubes you dont use sudo much, dnf ( what ever that is ) is used instead
> which is what I used.
>
> I created a Qube named it Nordvpn > Template > Fedora-26 > Networking >
> sys-net
> Appvm
>
> From there the rest of the instructions didn't work on Qubes for me.
>
> Apart from downloading the nord config files successfully which are in my
> nordvpn documents folder with all the server addresses as txt files eg
> uk648.nordvpn.comtcp443.ovpn
>
> Also was instructed to download nano reader and a few other things.
>
> My cd ls in my nordvpn terminal is as follows
>
> Desktop    Music      Templates       nano.save
> Documents  Pictures   Videos          openvpn-client.ovpn.txt
> [...]

You cannot disable something that does not exist. Just move on to the next
point. Did you enable the "provides network" option while creating your VPN-App?

Creating a new VPN-app is looking like that for me, my apps stand for the
country:

Name: sys-vpn-austria
Type: AppVM
Template: Debian (or course you can use Fedora, but it should be 28, 26 is
outdated!)
Networking: default (sys-firewall)
provides network: enabled

The guide provided seems fine and you could check if the connection works but
you should include the other scripts as well in order to make sure that all
traffic is going through your vpn only.