On Mon, Sep 24, 2018 at 2:38 PM, Franz <169...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 24, 2018 at 1:11 PM, unman <un...@thirdeyesecurity.org> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Sep 24, 2018 at 01:02:50PM -0300, Franz wrote:
>> > On Qubes 3.2 had to add an External monitor because my Lenovo x230
>> laptop
>> > display started flickering and slowing down. But the resolution on the
>> > external monitor is wrong. What appears on screen is correctly high, but
>> > too large to fit into the screen.
>> >
>> > Running xrandr gives the output on the enclosed photo. From that I
>> imagine
>> > that the resolution of the external monitor should be changed to
>> 1366x768.
>> >
>> > But how do I do that? I spent a couple hours reading many old threads,
>> but
>> > they imply a knowledge I do not have, só cannot figure out. Also am
>> afraid
>> > of doing something wrong and loosing access to my computer.
>> >
>> > Any idea?
>>
>> I don't know what was in the photo.
>> But you should be able to access these settings under the Qubes menu,
>> System Settings, Display entry.
>>

> Thanks Unman,
> I found it and it is pretty easy, but maximum resolution option for the
> external monitor is 1024x768. Does this mean that for some reason it is
> impossible to set 1366x768?

Here are some old comments from Marek that suggest that something can be
done, but they are somehow abstracted for me to be able to follow:

"I'm not sure if the driver loaded at disk password prompt time is able
to set higher resolution. But you can try with "video=" kernel
parameter.

For one-time test, you can edit kernel command line in grub (press "e"
on the entry, go to "module /vmlinuz..." line and add the option at the
end, then boot with ctrl-x). You can start with something like
video=1920x1080 (or whatever resolution you want). Details about option
syntax in kernel documentation[1].

When you find the right value, you need to edit /etc/default/grub
(GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX line) in dom0 to make the change permanent. After
editing this file, you need to regenerate actual grub configuration:
grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg

[1] https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/fb/modedb.txt";