[Note: my position is that hardware disk encryption is useful for protecting
against opportunistic attacks, whereas software disk encryption is best for
protecting against targeted attacks. Use both.]

1. PR Notice:
https://www.ru.nl/english/news-agenda/news/vm/icis/cyber-security/2018/radboud-university-researchers-discover-security/
2. Advisory: https://www.ru.nl/publish/pages/909275/advisory.pdf
3. Paper draft, very exciting read!:
https://www.ru.nl/publish/pages/909282/draft-paper.pdf

There are two CVEs here, which I will attempt to summarize:

CVE-2018-12037: user supplied password is not (or not entirely) used to encrypt
the disk encryption key stored in the flash. Key can be extracted via various
techniques. Examples given:
 -  ATA password (Maximum and High modes) on internal SSDs such as Crucial
MX100,MX200,MX300
 -  ATA password (only in HIGH mode) on internal SSDs such as Samsung 840 EVO
and 850 EVO
 - Proprietary unlock software on portable SSDs such as Samsung T3 and T5

CVE-2018-12038: user supplied password (or bitlocker(!)/OPAL key) *IS* used to
encrypt the disk encryption key stored in the flash. However, care was not
taken in firmware design to mitigate the logical->physical translation.
Therefore the original unencrypted key (before reconfiguration) may still be
recoverable somewhere in the flash if the original flash block was not erased
fully as part of the wrapping of the key in the user-provided password/key.
 - Samsung 840 EVO was vulnerable

Mitigations:
0. As suggested in the article (and in discussions on this list): always use
software-based encryption. Note that Microsoft's Bitlocker utilizes hardware
encryption when available by default for performance (using eDrive, a simple
variant of OPAL). This can be disabled via group-policy, but it will not change
the configuration of an already configured drive.
1. Don't use the Crucial MX100 and MX200. Oh, the horror. MX300 not much better
either, so avoid.
2. If using ATA security on the Samsung drives, always set both the User *AND*
Master passwords (utilize Maximum security mode).
3. TCG Opal implementation looks pretty solid on the Samsung drives. However
840 has a wear-leveling vulnerability in old key storage, so 850 or higher
series is preferred.
4. Samsung claims their portable drive issues are resolved when moving to the
v1.6.2 release of the unlocker. I'm doubtful.
5. Did I mention: always use software encryption as well?

My opinions:
1. Crucial and Samsung may have some excitement in their FIPS compliance
workstreams.
2. I'm fairly certain the TCG Opal standards are written to require
manufacturers to address these two issues: a) wrap the damn keys correctly and
b) ensure old key material is erased. This is a failure of engineering, testing
and compliance.
c) I've been peeved that the Samsung T3 and T5 drives, internally, are not TCG
Opal, instead using a custom Samsung mechanism to lock/unlock their hardware
encryption capabilities. The reason I was peeved: these are the only sources of
2TB mSATA drives which I would have loved to use with sedutil. Now I have a
second reason to be peeved, which is that the custom mechanism was as crappy as
Y2K-era ATA password protection.

Happy Monday,
Brendan