I'm a newbie trying to set up a Windows 10 HVM template (without Qubes windows
tools) in Qubes 4.0.1rc1. The tempalate works fine but never leaves the
transient state. Is this a known limitation without the windows tools or am I
missing something?

My real issue is that an AppVM of this template never persist/commit the
private snap image. I'm just guessing this might be due to the fact that the
qube (AppVM and TemplateVM) never hits the Running state?

Normal PVHs AppVM's work fine with their states/private data.

I've tried looking for strange things in the logs but kind of fumbling in the
dark. What should I look for?

System:
Qubes 4.0.1rc1
LVM thin