Hello max,
I think i know the answer to both questions but if there is something wrong
please correct me. (to the people that know a lot about qubes)
Regarding your first question. The download did indeed fail  because there
was not enough disk space on your qube. I've had the same problem multiple
times but increasing the available disk space should solve the problem.
This can be done by increasing the private storage size in the qubes
settings manager.
As far as i know is the /rw folder the folder which is persistent after a
restart of the qube. The rw folder contains configuration files concerning
the specific qube. Did you maybe point the iso download to the rw folder?
this could be the reason why its 100% full.

Regarding your second question, Ive had the same problem while installing a
kali iso. Increasing the max memory to 8GB solved the problem for me. This
can be done under the advanced tab in the qubes settings manager.
I hope some of this info can help you out.
Goodluck!