There's good news. It appears to be a brightness display problem only.

First thing I tried was to leave a youtube video playing before suspend.

When I awoke, the screen remained dark, but the youtube video resumed
playing.

Just need to figure out how to get the brightness back.

This runs on an Nvidia 1080 GPU. I wonder if installing the proprietary
driver would help.