On 12/31/18 11:17 AM, unman wrote:
On Sun, Dec 30, 2018 at 10:32:16PM +0100, haaber wrote:
Hi, I never understood the purpose of the loudspeaker bell in linux, but on
my machine, it is particularly loud and annoying. Is there a reasonable way
to deactivate it forever?  Thank you (and a happy new year), Bernhard

Try these:
As root rmmod pcspkr, should stop it in running machine.
Edit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist, and insert a line:
blacklist pcspkr
That helps in dom0 terminal, but neither on dom0 login screen nor dom0 xterm. Funny.

If that doesnt work, put the rmmod command in a startup script.
I'd love to place it in /etc/rc.local -- but there is none! Can I create it?? Can I blacklist it somewhere else on boot (grub??)

The ultimate sanction is to unplug the leads to the internal speaker
from motherboard.
Yes. That would be a joyful step, too. I am afraid if I have to cut the red or the blue cable first, to avoid detonantion :)) Let us try startup scripts first ... Bernhard