On Tue, Jan 08, 2019 at 01:31:30PM +0000, Robert Rettig wrote:

> > > Different environment. Started with a generic/fedora29 box (see
> > > https://app.vagrantup.com/generic/boxes/fedora29 )
> > >
> > > Got same error but different reason
> > > https://pastebin.com/raw/Efi5JQKU
> > >
> > > ```
> > > E: Failed to fetch
> > > https://deb.debian.org/debian/pool/main/r/reprepro/reprepro_4.16.0-1_amd64.deb
> > >   GnuTLS recv error (-54): Error in the pull > function.
> > >
> > > E: Unable to fetch some archives, maybe run apt-get update or try with
> > > --fix-missing?
> > > make[1]: ***
> > > [/home/vagrant/qubes-builder/qubes-src/builder-debian/Makefile.debian:
> > > 176:
> > > /home/vagrant/qubes-builder/chroot-jessie/home/user/.prepared_base]
> > > Error 100 ```
> > >
> > > How can I resume the broken build?
> > >

> > Obviously you have had some network issue, so downloads have failed for
> > jessie.(Why Jessie? Latest Whonix is based on stretch.) It doesnt look as
> > if you
> > built much (anything) so you should be able to just start the build again.
> > I recommend breaking the build down to separate distros, rather than
> > building all at once. Also, you can use make qubes-vm and make template as
> > separate step.
> >
> > If you use a caching proxy upstream from the build device then this helps
> > to mitigate the pain, and also dramatically speeds up template updates.
> > Since
> > you are downloading to update templates anyway, why download again to build
> > (vice versa)
>
> The build especially the gcc takes a lot of time. The network issue happened
> somehow at night.
> Therefore I asked how to resume and retry the build without building gcc
> again ... .
> Normally I would assume if a component like gcc is build upfront that it will
> be used from later components.
>
> To make it more clear what I did.
> Essentially I followed the rabbit in the documentation from
> https://www.qubes-os.org/faq/#how-do-i-build-qubes-from-sources
> to https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/qubes-builder/
> to https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/qubes-r3-building/ .
> Maybe that needs some cleanup and pick up your recommendation "breaking the
> build down to separate distros"?
>
> I choose `qubes` meta target as it should "build all required components in
> correct order".
> "List of components is configured in builder.conf. You can also check the
> current value at the end of make help, or using make build-info."
> For me that shows up
> 'gcc vmm-xen core-libvirt core-vchan-xen core-qubesdb linux-utils python-cffi
> python-xcffib python-sphinx python-pillow python-quamash python-objgraph
> python-hid python-u2flib-host core-admin core-admin-client
> core-admin-addon-whonix core-admin-linux core-agent-linux intel-microcode
> linux-firmware linux-kernel artwork gui-common gui-daemon gui-agent-linux
> [...]

If you check in builder.conf you'll see the components list - comment
out those that are already built as you go, so you arent rebuilding them
over and over, and the build should continue from where you left off and
use the already built components.
There is a long standing open issue about strengthening the build
process. I confess that using a caching proxy (and having a stable
net connection) helps no end.
If you are only rebuilding one component, then there's no reason why you
cant use Qubes packages for the rest - either strip them from the CD,
or pull from repo, and just 'make iso'.