On Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 05:38:42AM -0800, john.e.ma...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 22, 2019 at 8:18:48 PM UTC-5, unman wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 22, 2019 at 01:23:54PM -0800,  wrote:
> > > Is it possible to compare (diff) files across appvms. Or (and), is it
> > > possible to pass arguments to an appvm through a dom0 terminal.
> > >
> > > Basically, I want to check if a Keepassxc file in my vault is different
> > > than a Keepassxc file in my appvm.
> > >
> > > Thanks for any ideas.
> > >
> > > John
> > >

> > You can do this using qvm-run-vm or by using qvm-run in dom0.
> > Look at the policy file in /etc/qubes-rpc/policy/qubes.VMShell and the
> > warning.
> >
> > If all you want to do is see if the files differ, then you can just
> > generate hashes: from vault -
> > qvm-run-vm appvm 'md5sum db.kdbx'
> > Compare that with local hash.
> >
> > I dont think you can diff the files themselves.
>
> unman, I don't have qvm-run (perhaps that's for 3.2?), and running hash
> command example you gave (modified to point to a file that exists in the
> appvm) produced no output. Specifically:
>
> $ qvm-run vault 'md5sum file.kdbx'
> Running 'md5sum file.kdbx' on vault
>
> But no output. Any ideas?
>
> Thanks.
> John

In qubes, you should have qvm-run-vm tool. In dom0, qvm-run. The
capabilities (and controls) are different.

You are trying to run in dom0 - to get output there you need to use;:
qvm-run -p vault 'md5sum file.kdbx'
The '-p' allows for stdio from the running program to be passed to dom0
- be aware of the potential risks. Otherwise the command is run (and
stdio kept) in the target qube.

In qubes, you use qvm-run-vm - you must have considered
/etc/qubes-rpc/policy/qubes.VMShell
So, from vault run "qvm-run-vm appvm 'md5sum file.kdbx'", and the output
of that command run on appvm will appear in vault, and you will be able
to make the comparison.