Mike Keehan:
Hi,

I'm using Qubes Backup to save some of my qubes into another VM.
The backup VM has 18 Gb of storage available, but whenever the
backup file reaches 3Gb, the backup process just hangs.

No CPU usage, no error messages, just stops.  The backup window
shows 40% complete, but never moves any further (different % for
different combinations of qubes in the backup list).

After waiting a considerable time (well, 5-10 minutes), hitting
Cancel in the backup window does cancel it.  The rest of the
system is continuing to work without problem.  Happens every
time I try to use Qubes backup.

The Qubes Disk Space widget shows less than 50% disk used overall,
the backupVM shows only 18% disk used when the 3Gb file has been
saved.

I'm stumped.

Mike.

Hi,

You may have to wait longer than 5-10 minutes. I experience something similar when doing a full backup, except it's worse because i'm backing up like 2.5TB. It appears to hang for several hours at a time (and this happens more than once), but it does eventually make visible progress again. The whole process takes over 24 hours. This is why i do full backups very infrequently.

For you it shouldn't take nearly as long because it's a lot less data, but the progress appearing to hang for a while seems to be normal.

I'm using 3.2 tho, and i know they made changes to the backup mechanism under the hood in 4.0, so i'm not sure if this issue still applies in 4.0.

--
Jackie