On Sun, Jan 27, 2019 at 02:37:16AM -0800, goldsm...@riseup.net wrote:
> On 2019-01-27 01:34, unman wrote:
> > On Sat, Jan 26, 2019 at 04:39:45AM -0800, goldsm...@riseup.net wrote:
> >>
> >> Am I right in thinking  that the recently discovered apt vulnerability
> >> (DSA 4371-1) in Debian based systems could and should have been
> >> mitigated against many years ago  by downloading and activating an apt
> >> package; "apt-transport-https", which forces apt updates via https? The
> >> researcher (Max Justicz) who discovered the vulnerability has stated it
> >> couldn't have been exploited if https had been implemented.
> >>
> >> If "apt-transport-https" is the magic bullet, why in the past hasn't it
> >> been implemented by default? And, why for the future, is it not being
> >> implemented immediately by Qubes, Debian et al?
> >>
> >> During the past decade many people with good foresight had predicted the
> >> apt vulnerabilty and urged administrators to install the
> >> solution;"apt-transport-https". Regrettably, the vocal majority of
> >> so-called experts said that's unnecessary because the packages are
> >> signed. Was that incompetent advice? or was it a coordinated response
> >> from agents of State Actors to hide a deliberate backdoor? I've no idea,
> >> but given Snowdens revelations I would not rule anything out.
> >
> > No you're not right in thinking this.
> > You seem to have missed the section where Max explicitly say that "a
> > malicious mirror could still exploit a bug like this, even with https."
> > So apt-transport-https is no magic bullet, particularly as a cursory
> > glance suggests that it allows forcing SSL version to SSLv3, which is
> > known to be insecure.
> >
> > Imagine that apt-transport-https *had* been adopted - have you actually
> > looked at the list of vulnerabilities in libcurl, and the various
> > breakages in the TLS CA system? I can imagine some one
> > posting exactly like you: "Was the move to https incompetent advice? or
> > was it a coordinated response from agents of State Actors to hide a
> > deliberate backdoor? I've no idea, but given Snowdens revelations I
> > would not rule anything out."
> >
> > I would rule some things out. And in this case it looks like a simple
> > mistake. And if you read any of the arguments re http/https you'd see
> > that there are reasonable arguments on both sides, and the "so called
> > experts" took reasoned positions.
> >
> > It's always been open to you to install the package and switch to https
> > transport in your Debian templates, of course. And Qubes had already
> > started to use that by default too.
> > Not to downplay the importance of the bug, but let's not lose
> > our heads.
>
> Apologies. I've reposted this because the subscripts weren't clear in
> the earlier post. Hopefully this will be clearer.
> Thank you for your responses.
> I appear to have prodded a hornets nest! I make no apology for that.
> It’s good and allows everyone an opportunity to express their views.
> Hopefully backed up by facts.
> Here's some background as to where I'm coming from:
> [...]

It's very late, so I wont be ale to give your post the attention it
deserves, so apologies for that. Also, it's easier for me just now
not to reply inline - again,apologies.  Everything I say here is my
personal opinion.

1. You're completely right. If Debian is exploited then all your
templates
may be compromised, and therefore all your qubes may be.No doubt.
(You should probably be considering your service qubes compromised as
a matter of course.)  The QSB did not compare it to a firefox exploit:
indeed it explicitly contrasted this with a Firefox exploit, and
explained
why it was different, and why it merited a QSB.  If you reread the QSB
you may find that you git angry a little too quickly.

2. I completely agree about the tardiness of the Qubes advisory, and
have already raised  this as an issue. BUT, if security is an issue for
you , you should be reviewing the security advisories for Xen, Debian,
Fedora , (and whatever key software you use), as a matter of course.
Qubes does not pretend to offer an all in one solution, and it does not
take the onus off the user to keep themselves protected.

3. I completely agree with you that it's a mistake to assume that there
wasn't a 0-day circulating for this, although I haven't found any
evidence that there was.  It *is* possible that the vulnerability has
been know and exploited for years. No doubt.

I wont comment on the first of your replies to me. Doesn't seem
fruitful.

5. Yes, I have discussed the shortcomings of that implementation, and
work has been done to integrate https in to apt directly. I note that
you haven't commented on the main issue - that https is not a magic
bullet, and that switching to it would bring its own vulnerabilities.

6. Many users seem to think that Qubes provides a complete solution to
security or privacy. It doesn't.
Using Qubes does not take away the obligation on users to make sure that
their templates and software are configured and updated to as secure a
position as possible.  Users should review the choices made by Qubes,
and make sure that they are consistent with their needs. (You have done
this by selecting all Debian templates.)
For example, some users do not like passwordless root,
and there are mechanisms to remove this.
It's not feasible for Qubes to duplicate information provided for Xen,
Fedora, Debian, Arch, and any other templates that people use. As I've
said, if security is an issue for you then you should be keeping up
to date with security bulletins from those sources, and any other key
software that you use. That seems obvious to me. I don't think it's
anywhere in the docs.
Qubes provides a framework for using software - it doesn't take away the
onus on users to use that software properly, and to ensure they are aware
of good practice.  (As an aside I'm always baffled by people querying
how they can use Facebook under Tor or Whonix. What are they thinking?)
I regularly audit templates with tripwire, running from an
offline openBSD qube, and do standards checks with debsums. I do good
deal of my work offline in openBSD and then transfer encrypted in to
other qubes for transmission. That seems like overkill, and isn't for
everyone: it might be for you.

unman