On Sun, Jan 27, 2019 at 1:16 PM Chris Laprise <tas...@posteo.net> wrote:

> On 01/27/2019 09:32 AM, Franz wrote:
> > Command `wmctrl -l` gives the following error
> >
> > |Cannot get client list properties. (_NET_CLIENT_LIST or
> _WIN_CLIENT_LIST)|
>
> This works for me with KDE.
>

> > But when I use |wmctrl| to display info about the window manager, Qubes
> > is indeed found:
> > [user@personal ~]$ wmctrl -m
> > Name: Qubes
> > Class: N/A
> > PID: N/A
> > Window manager's "showing the desktop" mode: N/A
> >
> > What I am trying to do is to gracefully close firefox, but I get the
> > same error:
> >
> > [user@personal ~]$ wmctrl -c firefox
> > Cannot get client list properties.
> > (_NET_CLIENT_LIST or _WIN_CLIENT_LIST)
>
> You could try using 'xdotool' instead:
> xdotool search --name Firefox
>
> See my 'halt-vm-by-window' script from 'Qubes-scripts' project for
> examples. You could go through the list of matching windows, find the VM
> name with 'xprop', then issue a command like "qvm-run $vmname 'pkill
> firefox'" which should send a normal TERM signal to Firefox.

I tried most of the 60 signals that can be associated to pkill and none is
able to close firefox gracefully. The closer one is number 3, SIGQUIT that
at least waits a little bit before closing firefox. I suppose the way kill
and pkill work is just to crash the program you want to close.

Well perhaps it may not be as bad as it seems. I wonder why wmctrl does not
work with xfce. Is that a bug?