On Thu, 31 Jan 2019 19:12:09 +0100
Zrubi <m...@zrubi.hu> wrote:

>On 1/31/19 3:32 PM, unman wrote:
>> I know many people using Qubes 4 with 12GB and HDD, without
>> issues. SSD is better, but not a must.
>
>Technically you are right.
>
>In practice, the user experience (HDD vs SSD) is not even comparable.
>The price difference is is also not an issue, totally worth it.
>
>I would say: today, a newly built desktop PC without SSD is a bad
>decision. Even if running a conventional OS.

Obviously, we are dealing with competing needs here.  The overall need for
security AND the need for "speed".  Obviously, Qubes is a fairly resource
intensive approach to security, which is acceptable as far as I'm concerned.

I am still using Qubes 3.2 for now.  I have a mixed machine...Lenovo T520
(coreboot...ME disabled...one of the last ones where this is easy), 160G SSD
2TB HDD, 16GB Ram.  It works quite well.

I'm about to move to Qubes 4...

The SSD is encrypted and boot/main OS/dom0 drive, with the templates on the
encrypted SSD but with some VM images kept on the HDD due to size.  I have
almost filled up the HDD, so I'm a bit of a disk hog.

Even though the HDD is not itself encrypted, critical data is kept in encrypted
containers on the appVM's with the key on a memory card.  Scripts in Dom0 mount
the block device of the memory card to an appVM, then call a script on the
appVM to mount the block device and decrypt the container using the key, then
mount the container locally and unmount the key device.  All I do is remove the
key card and stop the appVM's (or just unmount the encrypted containers) for
the first level of "security"...when I'm away from my desk for a while, and
don't trust the screen lock to be adequate (haha...does anyone trust it, even
though they finally updated it for XFCE4?).

A full shutdown then requires a valid decryption phrase just to boot up AND the
key card to get to the important stuff...plus my machine is rarely out of my
sight.

It may seem a bit overkill to some, but since I work with HR data a lot and
sometimes have local copies of sensitive information (I try not to, but
sometimes tools on my machine make my work MUCH more efficient than just using
what my client has available),

The stories of a stolen laptop compromising PI data (Personal
Identification...SSN's etc...) abound. I consider this a minimal security
scheme primarily due to the information I have access to and the
possibility...no matter how remote...of me being lax at the wrong time and
someone walking off with my laptop.

I also VPN to my home system where I run an openVPN server whenever I gather
e-mails via pop access with my local client (especially the gmail ones, since
gmail likes to block access from unknown ip's...which is a royal pain for a
road warrior) or do certain other stuff.  I have the VPN setup on my mail appVM
and on sys-firewall, and can run it for just the e-mails or for everything
(except tor) as desired.

I plan to continue with this scheme when I go to Qubes 4, except I may also
encrypt the HDD...I just need to find enough space to put everything in the
meantime.  :)

Stuart