Dan Grant wrote on 2/13/19 7:20 AM:

I am able to comment out the mapbs and noexitboot lines in the [qubes-verbose]
section of EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.cfg, but it is not at all clear what is meant in
step 2 of this section:

https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/uefi-troubleshooting/#change-installer-kernel-parameters-in-uefi

what the following means exactly:

"Edit your xen config (xen.cfg/BOOTX64.cfg) changing the kernel key to add your
kernel parameters on the boot entry of your choice"

Specifically this bit: "...changing the kernel key to add your kernel parameters on
the boot entry of your choice"

Does it mean something more than commenting out the mapbs and noexitboot lines
in the [qubes-verbose] section?

Not for what you're trying to do- just commenting those lines out should have done it.

I'm guessing yes, as I get the same results booting the modified usb installer (black screen with the text shown above), but I can't find any indication what the "kernel parameters" I need to add might be, where I'd find them, or where I'd add them...

ps - I'm attempting to install on a new System76 Galago Pro laptop with Insyde
HxBios firmware, 8th gen I5 chip, & 32GB RAM

Does it have an nvidia card? Those cause problems sometimes. Otherwise, check this out- might be complex to get Qubes installed on that laptop: https://www.mail-archive.com/qubes-users@googlegroups.com/msg13362.html.