On Friday, 15 February 2019 16:37:17 UTC+11, Chris Laprise  wrote:
> On 2/14/19 10:02 PM, nosugarmaxta...@gmail.com wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Right now I use Qubes for a bit of fun - setting up VPN's - chaining them,
> > trying to get HVM's up and running, just messing about. I do plan to
> > totally phase out my other OS's for it, but theres one thing that keeps
> > going through my mind.. how isolated are the VM's from each other actually?
> >
> > I know Qubes is 'reasonably' secure, but how secure? Could a whistle blower
> > have a whonix VM open handling sensitive materials while at the same time
> > have a personal VM with ISP connection and google/facebook/work sites open,
> > with no issue at all? If the whistleblower would only be able to use the
> > machine for sensitive purposes due to leak potentials, etc, wouldn't this
> > make using Qubes pointless?
>
> Of the myriad remote attacks that can be used against traditional
> operating systems, basically one type is thought to be effective against
> Qubes in general: Side-channel attacks.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Side-channel_attack
>
> The best way to mitigate these is to not run public key crypto in
> trusted VMs at the same time untrusted VMs are running (although this
> can be a problem when VMs like sys-net and sys-usb are considered).
> Also, test your hardware to see if its susceptible to rowhammer.
>
> In contrast, even a physically isolated system can be less secure than a
> Qubes system. This is because the devices and drivers used for
> interfacing (SD cards, DVDs, USB drives - even occasionally) are much
> more complex and vulnerable than the interfaces on a Qubes VM. And if a
> Qubes VM does become compromised, chances are much better that the core
> system and firmware will remain safe.
>
> https://blog.invisiblethings.org/2014/08/26/physical-separation-vs-software.html
>
> Finally, assuming that attacks will succeed at least occasionally (and
> Qubes is built with this assumption for guest VMs): How recoverable is
> the situation? A Windows system that had its firmware compromised will
> continue to run malware even after the OS is wiped and re-installed. A
> Qubes system OTOH probably has intact firmware and malware can be
> removed by removing the affected VM.
>
> --
>
> Chris Laprise, tas...@posteo.net
> https://github.com/tasket
> https://twitter.com/ttaskett
> PGP: BEE2 20C5 356E 764A 73EB  4AB3 1DC4 D106 F07F 1886

Thanks for the reply, Chris.

So, apart from the rare chance of a side-channel attack. One should be able to
surf safely in Whonix, or a private VPN'd VM, while being able to surf regular
sites such as this google hosted mail group on another without overlap, or the
data from Whonix hitting a non-torified machine?