As I see it Namem...no expert but I would say:

1)Yubikey most secure (I have seen other similar devices that might be more
secure)
2)Google Authenticator (also similar type apps that are non google are also
available
3) Text message (almost useless in my opinion but better then nothing)

In my experience all of these are not really effective if the OS, browser (or
the connection) is compromised. I also suspect the OS, browser or connection
are more suseptable to an attack then the 2 step used.

Some other "secure" email options:
Protonmail (authenticator only)
FastMail can use a Yubikey (but Australian)
Tutanato (authenticator only...however they recently added a recovery key in
case you get locked out vs an email recovery option)
Google/Gmail (pretty secure but I just don't trust google...US company)

If you find something better (besides hosting your own email) I am all
ears...maybe use an air gapped ipod and use that for your authentication apps?

Not sure I answered your question, nor is this a Qubes specific question but
hope this helps...