On Tue, Feb 26, 2019 at 06:54:15PM -0800, Sphere wrote:
> It started happening just today
> Executing sudo dnf update command on my fedora-29 template forcefully makes
> my sys-net start
>
> But thing is, I'm no longer using sys-net template as my net vm and this
> caused me to triple check my settings and my update VM is showed correctly as
> I had intended = a VM designed to securely process DNS queries that is
> attached to sys-firewall
>
> Despite this, the behavior continues, even if I kill and/or halt my fedora-29
> template and I have no clue as to why this happens it's like something is
> forcing it to use sys-net in an attempt to get through my secure processing
> of DNS queries
>
> I also double checked that the template has no assigned net vm as intended
> according to how Qubes was designed and it's also set properly to 'none'
>
> It's absolutely persistent to the point that I ended up deleting my sys-net
> template and now the sudo dnf update command abruptly ends with "Error:
> Failed to synchronize cache for repo 'fedora-modular'"
>
> Can anyone help me with the logs to check/commands to use in diagnosing this
> problem properly?

This is expected. Not a problem.
When you run dnf update , Qubes will start the update VM that you have
set.
As with any qube, if that has a netvm then it will start *that*, etc etc,
right up to sys-net.
If it didn't start a network connection, then you would get an update
error (as indeed you have).