On Wednesday, March 20, 2019 at 10:08:36 AM UTC-4, Matthew Roy wrote:
> So there are 3 things I needed to do to get Thunderbolt docks to work on a
> laptop with Qubes:
> 3) Manually add and remove PCI devices provided by the dock from individual
> Qubes (e.g. sysnet and sys-usb). The Qubes will no longer boot once the PCI
> devices are not present after you unplug the dock, but at the same time they
> can't be connected to the Qubes after boot since they don't have hotplug
> enabled. So when you get to your desk you'll need to reboot the laptop, then
> attach the PCI devices to sys-usb and sys-net, then restart those Qubes.

For this particular solution/complaint, I reiterate my recommendation of always
turning off auto-start of sys-firewall and sys-net. A side-effect is that
you'll get to the desktop sooner which might be nice for non-networked
workflows. Optionally to avoid manual reconfiguration every boot, write and
deploy a script that, based on the available PCI devices seen in dom0 at
startup, sets the correct PCI associations to sys-net for dom0 startup, but
before the desktop appears and the user can invoke another VM startup that
could start those two before sys-net is configured.

Can't fix the general hotplug issues and I think that, for now, Qubes Devs have
made the correct decision on this.

If this is extremely important to a user...perhaps consider building and
packaging your own Qubes kernel variants with modified pci hotplug options and
live with the security vulnerabilities that the Qubes Dev team believes is not
a safe default. You would also set up those as default/non-default kernels in
GRUB depending on use case. Perhaps utilize these custom kernels as default
kernels specifically for a subset of physically secure workstations that need
to dock. Lastly, combine with scripts to manage sys-net pci options, triggered
via startup and/or hotplug events.

-B