On 3/26/19 2:33 PM, Jon deps wrote:
On 3/26/19 12:17 AM, unman wrote:
On Tue, Mar 26, 2019 at 10:48:08AM +1100, haaber wrote:
On 3/26/19 10:42 AM, Jon deps wrote:
Err:7 https://cdn-aws.deb.debian.org/debian jessie-backports Release
    404  Not Found
Reading package lists... Done
E: The repository 'https://deb.debian.org/debian jessie-backports
Release' does no longer have a Release file.
N: Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is
therefore disabled by default.
N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user
configuration details.

a test run inside an app vm (with direct sys-firewall access, to avoid
tor-related false errors) does confirm your observation for me. Is this
qubes-related or debian-related ? If the second one applies, we discuss
it in the wrong mailing list :)

It's not a Qubes issue.
jessie-backports was deprecated since June last year. The Release file
signing expired last month and it was removed from mirrors last week.

The packages can still be found at archive.debian.org, and you can
change your sources list to use this, but the Release file is still
expired.
You can work round this by getting a new copy of the signing key (if you
can) and updating with apt-key.

so do I need  ?
deb https://deb.debian.org/debian jessie-backports main

(  I don't even know what it is, I'm guessing it is the default
/etc/apt/sources.list

so maybe I missed a memo? )

if not then just  #comment it out  and problem solved  ?

As we just learned, Unman is quite busy (thank you unman!). What I would
do, is to try it out in an AppVM : comment it out and run apt-get update
 and then apt-get upgrade. If somethings messes, just shutdown the
AppVM (thereby taking all the mess into nirvana) : thats a short play
coming with no risk! If upgrading without that line works easily (I
guess so), do the same in the template.   Bernhard

Bernhard