On Sunday, March 24, 2019 at 6:22:49 PM UTC, ashleyb...@tutanota.com wrote:
> I utilize torsocks dnf to perform updates over tor inside of HVM linux
> installs (so not in templates obviously which would use qubes normal update
> mechanism).
>

> Since upgrading to Fedora 29 torsocks is not working with DNF. It throws an
> exception message. This is not directly related to qubes, but I imagine
> others have had this issue. Does anyone know how to use torsocks with dnf
> now. For example:
>

> sudo torsocks --isolate dnf update
>

> Running the above used to work perfectly. Now, it will work until it reaches
> a random error which is unrelated to networking. It is the following:
>

> terminate called after throwing an instance of 'libdnf::File::CloseException'
>
>   what():  Cannot close file: /var/cache/dnf/fedora-modular-[random
> letters]/repodata/[random letters]]-modules.yaml.gz
>
> Aborted
>

> So, it seems related to closing a file and for some reason this causes a
> termination, but only when using torsocks. When not using torsocks it works
> normally. I have run dnf clean all and all of that.

Nifty. This could be a torsocks bug. I stopped using torsocks with dnf, I
configure dnf with proxy support directly, in '/etc/dnf/dnf.conf' I add:

proxy="socks5h://127.0.0.1:9050"
proxy_username="dnf"
proxy_password="1234"

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like dnf respects the http_proxy env variable
(and it doesn't like username/password within the url).