Eccentric Butterfly:

Speaking of which, is there really any security benefit in making sure the
backup is not connected to a network? Provided the encryption password is
secure. I don't think this was mentioned in the docs anywhere as something to
consider so it's probably a bit excessive on my part. Of course, provided the
password is long and secure.

Since all contents of all AppVMs you select pass through your Backup VM, it's a good idea in general to be cautious about attaching it to a network if you don't have to. Same with any other AppVM, really. Security benefit is that it makes it harder to exfiltrate data.