On 5/22/19 9:44 AM, Claudia wrote:
Hello,

I've read the system requirements page, the HCL, and the "advice on finding a Qubes compatible notebook" thread, all of which seem to refer to Intel almost exclusively. I've also done some searching around, but there seems to be very little information about Qubes' compatibility on AMD machines.

I already know the conventional wisdom is "buy it, try it, and return it if it doesn't work," and that's basically what I intend to do. But before I do, I'm hoping for some reassurance, or advice on whether I should just skip over AMD altogether.

Is Qubes support for AMD about as good as it is for Intel? Or, is there a reason to pay the extra money for an Intel machine? Why is there so little information about Qubes on AMD, and so few AMD machines on the HCL? Surely I can't be the only person wondering about this.

A few things, more specifically:

1) The system requirements page says that Intel integrated graphics are strongly recommended over Nvidia or Radeon, for compatibility reasons. What about AMD's integrated "Vega" graphics?

That recommendation is overly conservative because early in Qubes' history only Intel processors had been explored and integrated graphics was the safe bet. If I were to re-word that phrase, I'd make it sound more like "avoid Nvidia unless you know exactly what you're doing". IOW, AMD is not a big worry when it comes to Linux graphics.

2) It's harder to find compatibility-related information for AMD processors. In particular, information about whether RVI ( = Intel EPT, = SLAT) is supported by a given processor. Official specs, and even sites like wikichip.org and cpu-monkey.com, often mention Intel EPT but not AMD RVI. (AMD-V and IOMMU are usually mentioned, though). Is there a specific cpu flag or something that I should be looking for in order to know if RVI is supported? Or is it pretty much safe to assume that any recent AMD processor with AMD-V and IOMMU will also support RVI?

I myself am just getting started with AMD on a circa 2013 laptop. Even on this 6yr old A10 laptop, all of the virtualization features are there – although coreboot is required for proper initialization (no surprise: the laptop is a Lenovo Ideapad, not a Thinkpad).

FWIW, I do think you're right that any x86 processor that supports both HVM (AMD-V) and IOMMU would also have RVI support. In the Qubes HCL, all of the Ryzen systems were reported to have RVI(SLAT) working. One entry also reports that IOMMU was present but not working on a "gaming" motherboard.

These days, the main issue with these virtualization features is not with the CPUs/chipsets themselves, but whether the BIOS/UEFI for a specific computer model enables these features and initializes them correctly. This is rarely an issue with business class computers from reputable vendors.

3) Do AMD processors have integrated chipsets like Intel (4th gen and up) processors? Or does the chipset remain on the motherboard in AMD machines. Not a dealbreaker, but integrated chipsets definitely make searching much easier.

Someone else with direct Ryzen experience could better answer this question. I know that in the 15h (2013) era the chipsets were separate (but this was also true for Intel at least up to 2012).

For what it's worth, in particular I'm looking at a few laptops with processors such as Ryzen 5 2500U, Ryzen 7 2700U, and Ryzen 5 3500U. They seem like great deal for the money. For example the 2500U has about the same specs/performance as an i5-8250U, but laptops with the 2500U tend to be around $200 cheaper than the Intel version. But, if Qubes compatibility is most likely going to be an issue, then I'm willing to pay the extra money for an Intel machine and avoid the hassle.

So, can I expect to have about the same luck with AMD as Intel? Or should I just pay the extra money and play it safe with Intel? Any advice on these particular processors, or recent AMD processors in general, it would make me feel a lot better before I go buying and trying at random.

You can make the process less random by focusing on sources that have a history of delivering better quality BIOS/firmware. Systems with the best chance of compatibility will be business-class and indicate compatibility with Linux (or Ubuntu/Redhat) in addition to Windows, typically from vendors Lenovo, Dell, and HP. I would have included Purism and System76 except they don't offer AMD laptops. In general, avoid consumer and gaming models (e.g. choose Thinkpad over Ideapad).

Do I think its worth it to try? Definitely, as long as your choice isn't random consumer gear. AMD processors tend to be more secure in the face of sidechannel attacks and suffer less performance degradation[1] from resulting security patches; that's certainly a reason to go in AMD's direction.

1. https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-amd-mitigations-performance-impact,39381.html

--

Chris Laprise, tas...@posteo.net
https://github.com/tasket