On Saturday, May 25, 2019 at 2:28:13 PM UTC-4, Chris Laprise wrote:
> I think the only _good_ way to deal with COW metadata expansion, since
> its always related to data fragmentation, is to keep expanding it and
> let system performance degrade accordingly.

Yup.

One could argue that the same solution could be *actively* applied to prevent
running out of free space. :) My recollection is that my old Drobo used to do
this (for free space, though presumably both).

> This simply makes
> de-fragmentation maintenance issue (defrag to shrink metadata and get
> performance back). This is what Microsoft did with NTFS and it was the
> right choice; clinging to fixed metadata sizes is merely a state of
> denial that leads to peoples' disks suddenly becoming unusable.

Lack of COW aside, NTFS's odd "separation plus mixing" of storage and metadata
is fascinating. I mean, it works! And works pretty well! And is ancient!

It *does* keep you on your toes, though, mitigating for forensics..."NTFS: oh,
you have a small file? Well, I'll just store that over here in the metadata
stream. You want to delete it? Sure, I'll mark it deleted. Erasing free space?
go right ahead, I'll be over here waiting. Oh, it's still here? Well...better
talk to Mr. Russinovich if you want to figure out how to really destroy that
file..."*

-Brendan
* upon review, I read that in the Q voice, for maximum nerdiness.