>>> This usually indicates that the VM has been deleted, and the
>>> leftover Application Menu shortcut was not cleaned up
>>> correctly. It's a box of trash because the original, correct
>>> icon is no longer available.
>
>>> You can clean up the shortcuts manually using the information
>>> documented here:
>
>>> https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/managing-appvm-shortcuts/#behind-the-sc
enes

>> If I understand it properly, I should go in dom0 to
>> /etc/qubes-rpc/qubes.GetAppMenus and delete the entry manually.
>> The issue is that in my /etc/qubes-rpc/ there is no
>> qubes.GetAppMenus file.
>

> No, that's the RPC policy directory. Don't delete anything in that
> directory unless you know what you're doing. Modifying the contents
> of that directory can have significant security implications. You
> can read more about RPC policies here:
>
> https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/rpc-policy/
>
>> Also in dom0 the /usr/libexec I dont see any qubes-appmenus to
>> get to qubes-receive-appmenus. Maybe I am doing something wrong.
>> Could you be more specific with precise commands to follow?
>

> I just submitted a PR to add this section in an attempt to answer
> your question:
>
> https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-doc/pull/825/files

$ qvm-appmenus --update --force monero-on
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/qvm-appmenus", line 9, in <module>
    load_entry_point('qubesdesktop==4.0.17', 'console_scripts',
'qvm-appmenus')()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.5/site-packages/qubesappmenus/__init__.py",
line 612, in main
    vm = args.app.domains[vm]
  File "/usr/lib/python3.5/site-packages/qubesadmin/app.py", line 87,
in __getitem__
    raise KeyError(item)
KeyError: 'monero-on'

Now I didn't try yet to execute $ rm -i
~/.local/share/applications/my-old-vm-* just in case you would like me
to try some other tests when issue is alive, to see thats going on.

Also if you tell me how to log the boot sequence, where my long time
deleted VMs are appearing and trying to boot, I will send it to you.