Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
On Wednesday, July 3, 2019 5:24 AM, Sphere <nvidiatempatg...@gmail.com> wrote:

> You're welcome and good luck!
> In any case, I was reminded that any sort of communication between
> non-interconnected qubes are not allowed. So even if both of your AppVM qubes
> and sys-dns qube are connected to sys-firewall then they won't be able to
> communicate with each other by default. Additional iptables rules must be
> added to allow it according to what's written here:
> https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/firewall/#enabling-networking-between-two-qubes

Hello! Here I am again as promised.
In summary: I managed to create a sys-dns qube running DoT. Long story short,
it is far from usable. Here are the steps I followed.

0. qvm-clone debian-10-minimal d10-minimal-dns.

1. Create a sys-dns qube which provides network and is based on
d10-minimal-dns. This qube is behind sys-firewall.

2. qvm-run -u root d10-minimal-dns 'apt install qubes-core-agent-networking
stubby'

3. In d10-minimal-dns 'nano /etc/stubby/stubby.yml' and add the following
option >

listen_addresses:
  - 127.0.0.1
  - 0::1
  - 10.137.0.xx # this is sys-dns IP address.

4. In d10-minimal-dns 'nano /etc/resolv.conf >
nameserver 127.0.0.1
namerserver ::1

5. qvm-shutdown d10-minimal-dns

6. qvm-start sys-dns

7. In sys-dns 'nano /rw/config/rc.local' >

iptables -I INPUT -p udp --dport 53 -j ACCEPT
iptables -I INPUT -p tcp --dport 53 -j ACCEPT

8. qvm-shutdown sys-dns

9. Set sys-dns as the network qube of a random app qubes (i.e. 'firefox')

firefox => sys-dns => sys-firewall => sys-net

10. In firefox 'nano /etc/resolv.conf' >
nameserver 10.137.xx # this is sys-dns IP address.

Check with dnsleaktest.com: DoT is working fine and firefox is resolving with
the standard stubby provider.

Until step 9 every step is easily doable. However step 10 is kind of issue.
Without step 10, the qube behind sys-dns is using the DNS of my Internet
provider in order to resolv any address. I can't change resolv.conf everytime I
open a qube, nor I think is a good idea to change resolv.conf in the template.

Thanks for any suggestions. I am just trying to find a suitable way to run DoT
on Qubes.