On 7/9/19 11:38 PM, acunal.hamad...@gmail.com wrote:
Hello All,

What I am working with

Qubes 4 Current Stable (7/19)
x230 with coreboot
Reinstalled to a new SSD a month ago

The problem -- Resolved temporarily by restarting

Several times a week there are times that without warning, everything is still
up on the screen and will to a limited degree work, but it is as if it were a
veneer of functionality. When I try to read/write the filesystem, make terminal
/ dom0 commands apps will either crash or no action will come. During the
shutdown screen the verbose text hangs on waiting. Ctrl Alt Del returns text
informing me that it attempted to restart the machine immediately and failed.
If something hasn't been saved or otherwise won't gracefully accept the
table-flip of using the power button this is particularly unfortunate.

Questions

Thoughts on what this might be or where to look?
Is there a vocabulary for this type of problem?

In my experience hanging is quite rare.

However, there are certain (bad) conditions that can bring it about. For example, if you mount external filesystems in dom0, and shut down the VM that supplies the backing storage for the filesystem before its un-mounted, then the system can become unresponsive in similar ways to what you reported. Its not hard to forget to cleanly un-mount a filesystem and close encryption, etc. before shutting down a storage VM.

There may be a different cause to your problem, but that is what came to mind when I read your post.

--

Chris Laprise, tas...@posteo.net
https://github.com/tasket