On Tuesday, 9 July 2019 13:35:39 UTC, unman  wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 09, 2019 at 08:30:37AM -0400, Steve Coleman wrote:
> > On 7/9/19 7:25 AM, <me> wrote:
> > > Hi, I installed a Ubuntu-14.04 minimal template from qubes.3isec.org using
> > >
> > > $ sudo dnf install
> > > qubes-template-stretch-minimal-4.0.1-201812230252.noarch.rpm
> > >
> > > and that works 'fabelhaft' (German for 'fabulously' :), but inside the
> > > running template I'm asked for a password when I try to sudo my way into
> > > apt-get update.
> > >
> > > Does anyone know the password for 'user'?
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> > >

> > If you can not sudo, you can always try running your command from Dom0 as
> > user root:
> >
> > $ qvm-run -a --user root <YourTemplateNameHere> "apt-get update"
> >

> This doesnt look right: I havent used a trusty for a while, and dont
> support it as its no longer LTS.
> If it's the minimal template, have you installed the
> qubes-core-agent-passwordless-root package? I could build it for you if
> you have problems building yourself.
>
> unman

Thanks for replying, and me thinking that 14.04 was 'stretch'. :)

Whatever command I try to do as sudo, it responds the same:

user@stretch-minimal:~$ sudo nano
We trust blahblah
[sudo] password for user:

Entering the 'empty password' then gives:
"Sorry, try again."

Against better knowledge I also tried in dom0

[user@dom0 Desktop]$ sudo dnf install qubes-core-agent-passwordless-root
but that gave a "no package qubes-core-agent-passwordless-root available.

If the software package I was planning to run in the VM didn't specifically ask
for 14.04 I'd have chosen a newer Ubuntu version of course.

It seems coleman's suggestion works as after entering his command inside my
stretch-minimal VM ps aux indicates a running qrexec-agent and 'apt-get update'.

When that's finished I'll try to run another command from within dom0 that
would give me root access.
Such as creating a password for user 'user' and entry into wheel.
Does that sound correct?