On 7/19/19 10:13 AM, Daniel Moerner wrote:
Thank you, this is a great tool. Everything is working perfectly as far as I can tell. It also works with fish shell by adding .config/fish to $chdirs.

I was thinking about what kinds of files, not present in the default installation but possibly added to a user's system, might need to be added to $chdirs and $chfiles manually. Perhaps such a list could go in the documentation. Some examples:

1. Any files sourced by your shell startup scripts that are in the persistent private volume, e.g., files that provide completion information for your shell but that aren't in the template.

If you could provide a specific example, that would be great. The usual
shell sources are already included, at least the ones that get executed.

2. Executables installed by other package managers that don't use the normal paths. For example, go uses $HOME/go/bin by default; cabal uses $HOME/.cabal/bin. Probably not worth trying to list all of these, but rather just noting the risk. Of courses, users that make regular use of these package managers might not want to enable this kind of hardening for convenience reasons.

That is interesting about language-specific environments; these appear to be examples that don't play nicely with the host OS or shell. My initial advice here would be to add protection for $PATH (such as Qubes-VM-hardening) to your template early, then add these other components afterward. In future, it may be possible to parse the $PATH for anything that references the private volume, then then automatically lock those paths down.

BTW, thank you for the bug fix! I've already posted it with a note in the Readme. The current version is now 0.8.5.

--

Chris Laprise, tas...@posteo.net
https://github.com/tasket