On Monday, August 12, 2019 at 7:41:47 PM UTC-4, Francesco wrote:

> @Chris
> On Mon, Aug 12, 2019 at 1:22 PM Chris Laprise <tas...@posteo.net
> <javascript:>> wrote:
>
>> On 8/12/19 12:03 PM, Franz wrote:
>> > On the upper right corner of the screen a black message alert:
>> >
>> > Disk usage warning!
>> > You are running out of disk space. 4.8% space left in pool lvm.
>>
> > So what should I do with that alert?
>>
>> Df is completely inaccurate when Qubes 4 is using the default (lvm).
>>
>> The best overall indicator to use is the disk space widget in the systray.
>>

> Thanks, I understand you are referring to a new plugin to add to the
> panel. if you are using default Xfce. There is one called "Free Space
> Checker" .

No, there should already be one running in the upper right called "Qubes
Disk Space Monitor".

> The best way to view individual VM disk usage is from Qube Manager.
>
> Yes this shows disk usage for each VM , but no way to understand which VM
> may have problems.
>
> In other words, an alert that does not tell which VM is involved have a
> sort of terror effect. You understand that something can break every
> moment, but no way to understand  where the problem is.

My general recommendation is:

1. Use the following to show the data usage in your thin pool (it should
give the same percent as the "Qubes Disk Space Monitor":
        sudo lvs qubes_dom0/pool00

2. Sort your VMs by size from largest to smallest in Qubes Manager, start
one up, and execute the following, and repeat as necessary from largest to
smallest.
    sudo fstrim -av ; sudo shutdown -h now

3. Periodically check the pool usage via the "Qubes Disk Space Monitor" or
the command in #1 above. If my hunch is correct, step #2 may recover some
data.

If not, then start deleting VMs you don't need.

Also: dom0 VM usage as well as all combined domU VMs usage is allocated
from the same shared thinpool pool00 in a default setup.

Brendan