On Tuesday, August 13, 2019 at 3:54:58 PM UTC-4, 799 wrote:

> I have documented the Layout of the USB controllers here:
>
> https://github.com/one7two99/my-qubes/blob/master/docs/qubes-x230.md
>
> It shows which USB Controllers connects to which external USB Port and
> which internal USB Devices like Camera / Bluetooth / LTE-Card belongs to
> which USB Controller.
>
> Depending on which USB Controller you attach to a VM, you pass along all
> attached internal USB Devices.
> Therefore I am a using a sys-usb Qube ;-)
>
> Regarding the other questions, I'll try to answer this later.

799,

1. That first USB device, which does not state where it can be used is
either:
a) The USB 2.0 interface "available" via the expresscard interface (some
"expresscard" devices are really just USB 2.0 devices).
b) The USB 2.0 interface available via the docking connector.

...some experimentation should lead to clarification.

2. On my W520, I typically only attach the USB 2.0 controller to sys-usb
(via PCI). That way, if I have to directly attach a storage device to a VM
for IO-intensive uses, I can utilize a disposable HVM and attach the USB
3.0 controller directly to it.

3. Lastly, for those worried about having a flexible USB controller PCI
layout (the ability to assign different controllers to different HVMs),
there's a secret I'll share: the expresscard port on both the X230 and the
W520 is a PCI port! And there are expresscards that provide USB 3.0 ports!
Granted expresscard's maximum signaling rate of 2500Mbps is not quite
6000Mbps maximum of USB 3.0...but definitely faster than 480Mbps! The W520
puts PCI devices mounted via the expresscard slot in their own grouping
(e.g. a USB 3.0 expresscard)...again, experimentation will show whether the
X230 does as well.

Brendan