> On Wednesday, September 18, 2019 2:14 PM, unman un...@thirdeyesecurity.org
> wrote:
>

> > 2.  Cant help you with brave.
> >     There's obviously something wrong with your browser/firefox
> >     configuration in "untrusted"."x-www-browser: command not found" is
> >     obviously wrong.

I looked into this. It's complicated. At the core of it however is Brave - you
were right about that. Turns out Brave has a segfault bug that comes up when a
window is already open: https://github.com/brave/brave-browser/issues/4142

In a nutshell, the RPC process ends up in xdg-open, which has a million
fallbacks - and the segfault results in a non-zero exit code, so xdg-open keeps
looking.

Here are steps to work around the issue, until they fix that bug:

1. x-www-browser isn't really needed, but I thought it couldn't hurt to have
it. So I created one in /usr/local/bin/x-www-browser:

#!/bin/sh
/usr/bin/brave-browser-stable $@ || true

As you can see, this ignores the error result from the segfault bug.

2. I created a copy of the Brave .desktop file:

sudo cp /usr/share/applications/brave-browser.desktop
/usr/local/share/applications

3. I edited that clone and replaced calls to
/usr/local/bin/brave-browser-stable with calls to /usr/local/bin/x-www-browser

Now everything works. Since all my changes are in /usr/local, they can be
applied in VMs or TemplateVMs.

Cheers
Oli