On 2019-10-09 20:43, Brian C. Duggan wrote:

On 10/8/19 6:45 AM, Johannes Graumann wrote: 2) I'm unclear about whether the fedora-/debian-X-minimal template VMs require additional packages to be managed through salt.
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/templates/minimal/ appears to indicate so: Also,
there are packages to provide additional services:
qubes-mgmt-\*: If you want to use salt management on the template and qubes. If that's indeed the case, it's actually not possible to manage minimal template installation/customization entirely through salt, which I consider suboptimal.

Qubes does not require that these packages be installed on target VMs to
manage them.

The disposable management VM applies states through salt-ssh over
qrexec. So target VMs only need the qrexec agent installed:

https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/salt/#configuring-a-vms-system-from-dom0

I believe qubes-mgmt-salt packages will let a user-controlled management
VM use the AdminAPI through Salt. But I'm not sure whether the AdminAPI
is mature enough for that to work fully, yet. Folks on this list have
only talked about using Salt from dom0.

3) I so far have managed to setup `*.sls` files for updating all templates as well as dom0 (THANKS unman for the example repo posted a while ago). Now I'm trying to get a defined package installed in a minimal template and fail:

flatpak.sls:
install_flatpak:
pkg.installed:
- pkgs:
- flatpak

I was able to apply this state to a clone of fedora-30-minimal like
this:

# qubesctl --show-output --skip-dom0 \
# --target=fedora-30-minimal-flatpak state.sls flatpak

Try getting the state to work by itself before using it in a top file.
What do you get when you try that command?

Brian

--
Brian C. Duggan
he/him/his

Thank you for chiming in - I can indeed configure all official templates
(minimal or not) using salt without installing anything special.
Sincerely, Joh