On 11/23/19 9:33 AM, swisspal...@firemail.cc wrote:
Hello,

I want to achieve the following:

sys-net should only be accessible by sys-firewall and sys-firewall should only be accessible by sys-whonix.

No AppVM should be able to connect to the internet if I set sys-net or sys-firewall as NetVM. Internet access should only be possible via sys-whonix.

What I tried so far is:
I flushed the INPUT chain on sys-net and applied these 2 commands

sudo iptables -I INPUT -i vif5.0 -s 10.137.0.6 -j ACCEPT

(10.137.0.6) is the IP of sys-firewall

sudo iptables -I INPUT -i vif5.0 -j DROP

This configuration already kind of works. If I create a new AppVM and connect it to sys-net then I can not even ping sys-net anymore.

But then I noticed that another vif interface on sys-net came up as soon as I connected the new AppVM. This is confusing me as I'm afraid that that could lead to potential leaks in the future.

I am unsure how I should proceed with the configuration of this setup. I don't know much about networking and especially because it is on Qubes it's a bit more difficult to be sure of how things work.

I presume that I probably should make a specific NAT rule but I really have no clue.

What I also don't understand is:
- Are the IPs that are assigned to the VMs static or do they change over time? If they change, can I make them static?

IIRC they're dynamic.

- Will the flushing of a chain in a fresh VM interfere with the functionality of the VM? I saw QBS-Forwarding rules and so on. I guess it's not a good idea to delete those.

QBS-Forwarding will stomp over what you try to add there. Its managed by Qubes. However, it exists in order to allow FORWARD to be user-managed.

One way to do it might be to allow only one downstream vif in sys-firewall: Add a general eth0 block on top of the FORWARD chain. Then, have a script that waits for the first vif to appear; when it does, add FORWARD rule to allow it, then exit the script.

--

Chris Laprise, tas...@posteo.net
https://github.com/tasket