I I will be doing some international travel in the upcoming months.  In
the past, I have had to turn on my laptop, and once I had to bring the
system fully up and allow people to see my desktop -- though nobody has
actually seized and gone through my computer as yet.  Has anybody gotten
increased scrutiny because they were running an enhanced security OS
such as qubes when entering a country?  If qubes is a "red flag," then
I'll carry a different laptop.

Carry another then, that's the safest.

The easy solution (if you accept some "risks") that works as well is a
micro-usb & some std linux on it, that is already booted. Give it a
family picture background with sweet kids & some green :) And two or
three non-sense documents that you can open.