'Ilpo Järvinen' via qubes-users <qubes-users@googlegroups.com> wrote:

> > Is it possible to get Xen in Qubes to enable hyperthreading?
> > Are there any obvs pitfalls or technical issues to explain why Xen turns
> > it off?
>
> Yes, HT is turned off intentionally for security purposes. Some of the
> Intel CPU vulnerabilities demonstrated within the recent years depend on
> the side channels within the resources shared by the threads of the same
> physical core. Thus it's advisable to not enable it.

Does that mean Intel's i7-9700 series of CPUs would be a near-ideal
choice for a high-end Qubes desktop? Here's one of several available:
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/191792/intel-core-i7-9700-processor-12m-cache-up-to-4-70-ghz.html

They're all 8 cores, no hyperthreading so 8 threads (enough?). This
one runs at 3.0 Ghz, turbo 4.7, uses 65W. I've seen reports they can
be overclocked to 5 GHz with air cooling. If I build one I'll use
water cooling & see what I can get away with.