On Tue, Dec 31, 2019 at 02:53:57PM -0800, Daniel Sanders wrote:
> So I still don't know the root cause of the issue (why the private.img
> image contains no ext4 filesystem) but I hope it will help its resolution.

"private.img"? *cough*
(this means you are running qubes3 or a qubes4 with a seriously
 off-default storage configuration? ;)

thank you for debugging this.
if you look closer at the "systemctl --failed" output, it mentions
qubes-mount-dirs.service failing.
if you run "systemctl status qubes-mount-dirs.service" you see
it complains about "/usr/lib/qubes/init/mount-dirs.sh" failing.
if you run /usr/lib/qubes/init/mount-dirs.sh by hand, it complains
about the "cmp" command not being found.
quick check, and yes, it is not installed.
so "pacman -S diffutils", restart template, TA-DAH.

now someone who understands arch needs to add diffutils to the
pkg-list for the arch builder plugin. :)
(thats very much not me, i had to google the "how to install a pkg
 on arch" part...)