December 31, 2019 1:02 PM, "eira wahlin" <pan...@nonbinary.me> wrote:

> I use qubes on an AMD system (thinkpad with Ryzen 5 pro 2500u). While I'm
> happy with it, I've had
> to make some sacrifices. AMD systems are tricky with hardware forwarding, so
> I cannot (at the
> moment) use a sys-USB. There is an inherent security problem there.
>
> Also, I've had to make my own versions of the (horribly elitistic and
> class-hatingly named) AEM
> system. I use my machine's TPM2 to verify that my BIOS hasn't been infected,
> but that was difficult
> as hell to set up. AEM relies on Intel's TPM module, and doesn't work with
> AMD machines.
>
> So while most of it all works, it's been tricky to set up, and it's not all
> functional yet.
>
> <3
> /panina

Hi again, processor buddy. I have the Ryzen 5 (non-Pro) 2500U. I've also had a
lot of problems with it. The IOMMU grouping is terrible, the kernel has a lot
of problems with the firmware and ACPI, it doesn't support USB Qube, and so on.
I haven't dared to even try AEM on this machine. But considering the
performance for the money, I guess I really can't complain.

I recently got suspend/resume half working. Turns out, some or all of the
Fam15h processors including the 2500U change their cpuid feature bits when
resuming from suspend, which causes a Xen panic. This means the fans come back
on, but the screen doesn't power back on and it can't save any logs, so it's
really hard to diagnose. You can patch Xen to disable the feature check.

If you don't mind patching Xen, it's very likely that this will fix it for you
(although you may run into other post-resume problems). And it's really not as
difficult as it sounds.

This link contains a patch and instructions for building it.
https://www.mail-archive.com/qubes-users@googlegroups.com/msg31697.html