Since Qubes 3.2 I've had issues with sys-usb not recognizing devices. My solution has been to reboot until it works. 1 in 4 times it seems to work correctly.

The device that I have the most trouble with is a trackpad. Sometimes after using the machine successfully for days, I'll wake it up and the trackpad mouse speed will be slowed down. Sometimes rebooting sys-usb will fix this. Other times I have to reboot the whole machine.

All that i've been able to live with.

But the other problem I've had with sys-usb is connecting to external drives. Here are the copy speeds I get on my machine to an external usb device:

Tails OS 33mb/sec
Qubes OS 12mb/sec

HOWEVER, the Qubes # is misleading because it seems to have regular i/o issues so it is 12mb/sec when it is working, which is off and on. Then after some time the whole device will become read only and i'll get a i/o error message after copying for some time. This has become a serious problem because i can no longer do Backups to external drives. (Copying smaller files to/from usb is manageable.)

Therefore I've decided to ask for help here. A search for "sys-usb" didn't reveal any examples of others having similar problems, but maybe someone can help me narrow down the problem here.

This is my hardware: https://www.coreboot.org/Board:asus/kgpe-d16

Any advice is much appreciated.

scallyob