I'm new to Qubes and I've nearly finished setting up my machine for it's
first network connection (purged all Fedora, enabled AppArmor, disabled
passwordless root, etc.)

Firewalls are an enigma to me but I know they're super important, so I just
wanted to ask: Is there anything you think I should know before connecting?

   - Is it fine to just stick with the installation default?
   - Are there any firewall structures (e.g. more than one) that confer
   improved security?
   - Any rules you'd say are highly recommended for the security and
   privacy enthusiast?

All I'm looking to do is surf the internet using tor and/or vpn, and maybe
torrenting. High tolerance for annoyance. No plans for other apps yet.

Feel free to add in any other security tips someone like me might find
essential

Thanks in advance!