On Tuesday, March 10, 2020 at 11:49:58 AM UTC, maiski wrote:

> Quoting Ulrich Windl <ulric...@rz.uni-regensburg.de <javascript:>>:
> > For some reason I have a "watch -n30 lvs" running in a big terminal.
> > On one of the op lines I see the usage of the thin pool. Of course
> > this only helps before the problem...
> >
> > But I thought some app is monitoring the VG; wasn't there some space
> > warning before the actual problem?
>
> Of course there was. But atm of failure there was none visible, which
> does not excuse that beforehand I had created 3 new and downloaded a
> minimal template for fun, so... why can it be simple, when it can be
> complicated

Qubes 4.1 (in development) has added a warning (in addition to the current
lvm space usage warning) for lvm metadata usage above a threshold. 4.0
doesn't have the metadata nearing full warning, and that's what tends to
cause these types of thinpool issues.

In addition to the warning, Qubes 4.1 is also doubling (vs. the lvm default
value) the amount of space set aside for lvm thinpool metadata which will
substantially reduce the chances of ever hitting this issue under 4.1.

Brendan

PS - above is not helpful for recovering this machine, of course. However,
recovery from this can be very difficult and even after recovery not
guaranteed to recover all the data. The Qubes devs are aware of this and
very much want to avoid these issues in the next release.